Welcome to The Lyceum!
The Historic Galveston Wedding and Reception Venue
With it’s beautifully-landscaped wrought iron-gated courtyard and gazebo, the Lyceum is a flexible venue for
- Entertainment Events
A Galveston historic landmark, the original Lyceum was built in the 1840’s and served as a philosophical meeting center and entertainment venue for the Galveston Island community. Upon purchase by the First Lutheran Church in Galveston in 1854, the Lyceum then became the worship center for the church, and the congregation also put it to use as the first public school in Galveston (students were charged $1 per year for tuition).
We would be delighted to add your venue to the distinguished annals of the Galveston Island Lyceum’s warm tradition of service. We want you to be confident that we will work diligently to ensure that you have everything you need to enjoy our charming and historic Galveston architectural treasure. If you are looking for an inexpensive wedding venue in the Houston area then you must come and see our our reception hall on Galveston Island.
When you reserve your special event with us, we reserve our precious time and facilities for you.
• A service kitchen is equipped with stainless steel prep table, ice machine and refrigeration to assist your chosen caterer
• Handicapped accessible ramps and elevator are available
• A 12-foot by 16-foot stage is available for powerpoint presentations, bandstand, etc.
• Convenient, free parking adjacent to the venue
• Facility available year-round
• A former choir loft is ideal for vocalists, photographers and videographers
• A beautiful courtyard area is just steps from The Lyceum. Surrounded and gated in wrought iron, the lush lawn and open air gazebo are available for outdoor functions
Accented with a Victorian casual, elegant – yet relaxed – ambience, The Lyceum is a charming venue for 300 people seated assembly style (such as ceremonies), and banquet seating for 200 guests and is one of the best and most affordable wedding venues in Galveston.
We are a featured wedding and reception venue in
Galveston.com – the Official Website of Galveston Island
I have to say not only was Cynthia very receptive to my emails, but Brenda was beyond helpful and calmed down a mother of the bride (me). I will never forget how beautiful my daughter was on her big day, but how I made friends with some amazing people.
— Peggy Verkin Rea